Crescent Island

Crescent Island

Saturday, September 26, 2015

#SafariSquad

One thing I had wondered about when preparing to move out to Kenya was the community of friends that I would build here. Would I spend time with families? Would I be the only single person? Would there be anyone else my age?

Since getting here, I have been very lucky to meet several other single, female missionaries on campus that are around my age. It has been great to have a group of ladies to spend free nights and weekends with. They all understand what it means to be living this life, especially as a single woman.

Katie with Monte - Cassandra's great dane puppy
Emily, Katie, Liz and me at New Parent Orientation
Me and Cassandra being our regular selves
Cassandra and Emily on our way to the dukas (shops)
In this group we have 3 dorm moms, 1 student teacher, 1 photographer for Cure (which is just down the hill from RVA), a P.E. teacher/basketball coach, and me. We are all single women between 21 and 31 years old, and most of us are in our first year serving in Kijabe.

As a group we keep each other sane, sharing food, laughter and stories from our days. We have encouraged each other and supported each other as only single female missionaries can. On our nights off, we share left over food and watch fun movies together and talk about things we are struggling with and how God is working in us and through us.

I am so thankful to God for bringing these women into my life. Already, I know that they will be people that I keep in touch with for a long time after we all leave Kijabe. Unfortunately, three of them are only here for 1st term, and will be leaving in December. We are all aware that time is short, and we are taking advantage of the time we have here together.

In just two weeks we have our mid-term break, and we are looking at some fun day trips for us all to take together. We are planning on heading to Karen, a city just west of Nairobi, to check out the Giraffe Center, elephant orphanage and Kazuri beads. We also plan to do another day to Kitengela Glass and Amani Ya Juu. Hopefully we'll have some good adventures, and good rest over the break. And I plan on taking lots of pictures to share with you.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my full schedule and productive class time with all of my students.

Prayer requests:

  • Campus has been hit pretty hard with a couple rounds of sickness so far this term. We would all love prayers for rest and good health for all of the students and staff. 
  • I also ask that I can continue to wisely plan my time, and not overwhelm myself by getting involved with too many things. 

1 comment: