Crescent Island

Crescent Island

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Choir Tour

Hello All! I'm so sorry I've been so terrible at blogging throughout Term 2. Not to make excuses, but this term has been absolute bananas for me. Term 2 has been busier, with much more on my plate, and I've had very little energy at the end of the day to do anything but eat, sleep and zone out.

One of the reasons that this term was so busy for me, was Choir Tour. That's right, this term I planned a two-night, three day choir tour in Nairobi for 36 students and 4 adults (including myself - though I still have a hard time thinking of myself as an adult).

From the start of the term, I was on the phone and emailing with schools almost every day, to get concert into place. I was also teaching my choir a program of 10 songs to be performed on tour, along with scripture readings and testimonies. This was quite the challenge. There were moments I didn't think that I could get it done, and I was learning about the culture of Kenya at the same time.

While the process of planning was overwhelming and frustrating at times, the outcome was completely worth it all. We performed six concerts, at four schools and one church, and had such incredible experiences at each place.

Throughout the weekend, there were fantastic learning moments for me, as well as for the students. The weight of being in charge of the weekend really drained me of energy, but I took time to be alone and to pray and spend some quiet time with God. If I hadn't already gotten into the habit of having daily quiet time, I'm sure I would have gone completely crazy that weekend.

Looking back on my time in choir, in both high school and college, the tours we went on were the most meaningful times I had. This tour will also be an incredibly memorable time with this choir this year. I am immensely proud of the choir, and so thankful for the weekend that we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment